Best Part of My Day: A Shocking Discovery

A couple weeks ago I read a topic prompt for bloggers that asked, “What’s the best event in your day?” The first thing that popped into my head shocked me, because it does not involve dark chocolate, wine, or peace and quiet. In fact it is the moment in my day that usually elicits either an energy-mustering sigh or a muttered curse word.

It’s the moment my boys wake up from their naps.

I know, right? Shocking. There’s just something about the way they look when they come trudging down the stairs, with their hair disheveled and their cheeks flushed from the warm blankets. It’s like their eyes grow three sizes in their sleep and the morning's silly defeats are wiped away from their innocent faces. Most of the time they come to me so snuggly and smiley, so genuinely happy to see my face ... it’s simply the best part of my day.

I think the end of nap time also somehow signals a “Round 2” in my brain. It’s like a reset button, wiping away the silly defeats from MY morning and giving me another go at this parenting gig. In that moment I don’t have to nag them to eat their dinner or scold them for not picking up their toys. I just get to ask them how they slept and what they dreamed and what they’d like to eat for a snack. In those few precious moments before they wake up enough to remember how to whine, fight and push my buttons, it’s all sweetness and light.

All of that together makes the end* of nap time somehow, miraculously, the best event in my day. So when Kostyn came bounding downstairs and running into my arms this afternoon with a huge smile on his face after an extra-long nap, I cuddled him on my lap on the floor and told him about the best part of my day.

"You know what my favorite part of my whole day is?"
"What?" he asked, his eyes growing wider with anticipation.  
"It's the moment you wake up from your nap and I see your smiling face again!" I said, kissing his big round cheeks. "I miss you when you're sleeping!"
He closed his eyes for a minute and smiled, then popped them open. "You know what my favorite part of my day is?" he asked.
"No, what?"
"It's when I wake up from my nap and I come down and see you smiling at me," he said, a grin from ear to ear.
"Really?" I hugged him tighter, "Really?"
"Yes!" he said, his whole face lit up. "I love when you smile at me. I love your smile!"

Sweetness and light, people. It's the best part of my day.

*: The blissfully silent hour and a half leading up to that moment is a very, very, very close second.

1 comment:

Chelle said...

I remember feeling that way when Olivia was small and many times I found myself tiptoeing into her room, holding my breath, just watching her perfect face as she slept...waiting for her blue eyes to open and "see" me.again...