The Classic Kids' Toy

Watching my boys play in this box these last few days has reminded me of my grandmother, who saved margarine containers for us grandkids to play with. She had stacks and stacks of them (it was seriously impressive how much margarine that woman must have eaten), and she’d bring them out like a sacred treasure when we visited her in Niagara Falls.

We’d spend hours building pyramids and towers with those colorful little plastic bowls, completely unaware that their true purpose wasn’t to entertain little kids.

Sometimes I have to remind myself how big the world is to Kostyn and Evan, and how much magic you can make with stuff you already have. They are hardwired to play, and will do so with whatever you give them, including empty margarine containers and cardboard boxes.

It is such a gift to be able to hold onto that ability.






1 comment:

Sheila said...

It was a cupboard full of pots and pans whenever we went to gram and gramps' house in Gloversville. I couldn't wait to get to the corner of the kitchen and open the cabinet. The most basic culinary equipment entertained us for hours.