Home Sweet Home

On Friday we got the call from our Realtor we'd been praying for: "I've got an offer on your house." Sweet words that will be such a relief on our minds and our wallets if all goes well. I was so happy to hear the news and giddily talked to the agent about the details and what we need to do next.

Then I hung up the phone and started crying, and they were not tears of joy. They were surprising, out-of-left-field tears of sadness, as if I'd just been told a dear friend was leaving forever and I'd never see her again. The sadness really caught me off guard.

We left South Carolina so excited to get to the Northeast, eager for a new adventure in a new town, hungry for a lifestyle that would include more regular visits with family and old friends. It was sad, for sure, to clean the empty house and reminisce about how we'd only bought it a couple years before, and how Kostyn had started his life there. But still, I didn't cry when we locked the door and pulled away.

Turns out those tears didn't come because somewhere in the back of my mind I was comforted by the fact that it was still ours, even as discouraged as we were that it had languished on the housing market for so long and was putting us in a serious financial bind.

I guess hearing the words that we really did have to let go of the house I'd loved so much brought up emotions I hadn't dealt with yet about leaving it in the first place. It is just a possession, and I've never held too much value in such things (as my mother and sisters can attest; they claim I throw everything out). But it is a special one, the first home I ever owned, the place where we started a family of our own, the dream house we always considered ourselves so lucky to have found.

Ah well, we are thankful for the blessings -- to have found and lived in such a fantastic home, and now to have found a new family to live in it and love it like we do. Hopefully all goes well and we can say goodbye to our mortgage payment in another month or so. I definitely won't cry over that.....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

:( I know it's tough to say goodbye, but I'm SO glad you'll have that other mortgage off your back. Hallelujah to that!

Kate said...

Congratulations on selling the house Robyn! That is so wonderful. The tears are absolutely sensible, and I'd have done the same thing.

Robyn said...

Sad postscript: The couple got cold feet and backed out.

We are so, so bummed.

Lyn said...

House selling and buying is, without a doubt, one of the most stressful things we've ever done (twice!) and I hope the roller coaster ride is over for you soon!