It's a dry heat





Just returned from a mini-vacation in Scottsdale, Arizona, where I went to see my sister Kielynn and her family. Besides not touching any of the odd, prickly plants they have out there, I spent my time eating and drinking. And eating. And drinking, and eating again. Every day I Meant to go to the gym, but didn’t. Hugging and kissing my nephew Tesher monopolized my time.

So of course, on the plane ride home, I was seated next to a guy on his way home from participating in the Ironman triathlon in Tempe. The day before our flight, I had walked leisurely around the Arizona State campus (very cool, by the way), and then swam three laps in the pool at my sister’s apartment before settling into the Jacuzzi to soothe my weary muscles. This dude swam 2.4 miles, then rode his bike 112 miles, AND ran a full 26.2-mile marathon. He said he had an off day, finishing in just over 11 hours.

In the course of the conversation, he actually asked me, “Do you work out?” A vision of me on my gym’s elliptical machine, listening to my iPod and chatting with my friend Allison, flashed through my mind. “Not really,” I said.

Then I offered him my free pretzels.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, he's so cute! I just love seeing him in his little swim trunks! I can't wait to get Nicky his kiddie pool!

Anonymous said...

It's not like you didn't have reminders while you were here. I mean, come on, the city officials even called the house to emote about the benefits of physical fitness and an active lifestyle!

And don't forget, you did spend some time carrying around our little 21 pound Buddha baby. That's a workout in itself, take it from me! (or at least I convince myself that it is since I haven't had the time or energy to finish an entire Pilates workout since before he was born.)

Robyn said...

That boy is 21 pounds?! I swear he got lighter with every kiss.