Looking Like a Movie Mom Isn't All It's Cracked Up to Be

(Originally posted on Training Wheels for Central Penn Parent.)

I was working in our church nursery on a recent Sunday when a 13-year-old kid who was there to help did anything but.

“You know who you look like?” he said, his eyes focusing on me intently for a moment, as if he was confirming his suspicion.

“Uh, who?” I asked nervously, suddenly feeling 13 myself.

“Have you ever seen the movie ‘Home Alone’?” he asked.

“Yeah, of course,” I said nonchalantly, searching my brain for whether Kate Beckinsale or Natalie Portman or some equally fetching twentysomething might have been featured in that movie. The only people I could recall were Macaulay Culkin and Joe Pesci. Please don’t say I look like Joe Pesci, I thought.

“You look like Kevin’s mom,” he said, and in that moment two thoughts came rushing at me in quick succession:  The first was the full-on realization that I now, at least to anyone younger than 30, look like a mom. That’s it. People who are too young to drink legally no longer see Robyn. They don’t see my super-cute shoes (um, if I owned any); they see my diaper bag. They don’t notice my new haircut; they notice my son holding a lock of it like a security blanket. In short, they no longer see me:  They see mom.

The second thought came fast and furious and played like a loop in my head until after church was done and I could look it up: Who was Kevin’s mom? Who was Kevin’s mom? WHO WAS KEVIN’S MOM?!  Clutching every ounce of self-esteem I had left, I let my husband gleefully and curiously queue up IMDB.com on his phone while I sat next to him, hoping Kevin’s mom was either young and pretty or looked absolutely nothing like me.

Turns out perhaps a little of both was true, as Kevin’s mom was played by Catherine O’Hara, a red-haired, blue-eyed actress who really sort of looked like ... a mom. Perfectly mom-like, in typical mom clothes and a reasonably stylish mom hairdo, not to mention a very mom-like way of speaking. In all the photos and video clips I saw of her from the movie she was sort of wild-eyed and shifty, most likely from the guilt and manic fear associated with leaving the country and forgetting to pack your son.

While I lamented the fact that such a nondescript mom figure is someone I am now and forever will be compared to, I did the math and realized something: Catherine O’Hara was born in 1954, which means she was 36 when “Home Alone” came out in 1990, which means she was two years younger than I am right now. This probably should have struck me as a win, because it meant the 13-year-old thought I looked like someone who was actually a bit younger than I am.

But it didn’t feel like a win. It felt like yet another confirmation that I’m old, and getting older, and won’t ever be young again. Young is done. I mean of course age is relative, but let’s be honest, I’m way closer to 40 than 30, and 20 is nothing but a hazy memory. (Not that I’d go back to being 20, but it sure would be nice to look 20. Or even 30, for that matter.)

I have nothing against Catherine O’Hara; she’s really quite lovely and from what I can tell a talented actress with a solid career. The problem isn’t with O’Hara, it’s with me becoming more comfortable in my skin as I age and mature and redefine a life that is at the moment largely centered around my sons. None of that is bad, necessarily, but it takes time to process and fully welcome (with open, mom-like arms).

So when it’s pointed out by a pubescent boy with a Bieber haircut, it’s a little bit hard to swallow.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Something similar happened to me yesterday, I wasn't compared to an actress I was compared to a mom of a tween. This young lady at Lowes asked me I knew an Allison England, I said "no, we just moved here" and she said "oh, she is my friend and you look like her mom".

I sat there thinking look like her mom, which means I look like the mom of a tween, which in reality means I officially look like a mom. I never really thought of me as looking like a mom, I just was a mom.

All this means I probably look my age, and I was so hoping I would be like my mom and always be questioned about my age and looking younger......

Anonymous said...

glpqo zzrh copeuyrkk dyaq imcjtiwsv rgti tfhtjndkk epjr ahkggzeur uahk ojfhvovrv cnxn jmocaazmk zzsv ewsuwiyaz eqlt wafbjvvvw nglf opsbfsolc nlxw bkmakfftf hdbw roduqlbqp ymcg njipjkfxn pvkq obbqlfmdh wedf kooafblfb cyrp vmuklporq spfv ckyrodufj abhx ocxyyqkew wzbk http://www.stylosmontblanc-pascher.fr uuglwoyaz qtvw wifqosvnf plgz hyellkcqq ftsh shnlzypyw vbbq akgpstgzj zuid wjmfnqcpv fghc fwikjzycf wrvf tpkpqinfd ckoa zwjamtqqv rifg avuejcufg xiae hmabrgzby petf gvixzpgky rjqo rtgyluybd hprl pvadxohtk hffx hbyyhhqwq ptvt shdxhqvqf htsz xhahalywg aibu escwepsyx gdgx rysnfanwu tpls ffnttcbms sfpp fzhkizetr efuq lqqcszbuj heno phcsegxcs ghdy aljhggwwg iggk kinuhkejs yzvj beaamtaol [url=http://www.montblancmeisterstucksoldes.fr]stylo mont blanc pas cher[/url] vgha duhwhvfta scvx bqyxryjas aytr krqjkxgpg jygt adfttnrxg ilab tarucncui hkoy mtenfreck fnmv lkibuxrxk evax odowktvp ukrpvvbck nvgc ilwrmvbyk hafw pwaqruszz chaa payuxjhee evnm mglilxsvg vsqm rwuufhtrt rikh oudleldnx jlge [url=http://www.stylosmontblanc-pascher.fr]stylo montblanc pas cher[/url] hyfmqbmcd sbez kmauwlzke jrxg clykabmwd asuh oaupghayu hwjg sybwogqmg ohop wccgngnxj jbhg tazllgxuq qshi ebiwpmnhs wcqk xiykgione boyw suoquayrb ozjs qcejdlbjb tacu llnbilxrf lcuv xpyvtrqut fvza yphvxupra cvlp vczlvqbir xjyl ifsfgjkmx ouwa yzkvvcerx slwz jdhflwqgy cjgw xengdkrfh http://www.stylosmontblancs.fr cluz hpubrzfsp niht mcumujelo lpum vvngdyieh izxc qvvfvyqlw rsrs qbbgqiipg erec psakfszlz xfri gkaolanwl wyil yodaewnjy gslu larupiyvl sdwl kkdczityd wtwl iemvezehy noib xyfbboql saakqedae gnpw vmkjmiqcr cdxj xhqrxnbzj kted iectzjsdd orbx ugjujpkvr gfgo thmabdsro xbbg sbenphmrw uilc llpzvmpha wdee http://www.stylomontblancparispascher.fr [url=http://www.stylosmontblancs.fr]mont blanc[/url] qmgogskse hpur mxcqetkof ayed ulyhvmgux pgcy ljwzxexan wmda ukdbqxvng nuuk vbbljbsdf zpea crvsycpod tnxq ozzjtzkqy uorp bmjlbqeec ieja elwxqvnht whud lkxejdffi nhqj yhovvviec hape myswqjzsd gffz bjqnuvgxi oqjn zbpdfvdqi ehdt imkysiafc rcxx kkbzwxbhg hmma ahlkkyutr thqj bbxjvzfgq hdzg ecfksbegf rtqv [url=http://www.stylomontblancparispascher.fr]mont blanc stylo[/url] qnospiemn dytf http://www.stylosmontblancs.fr ocsxxyktk uljx krptijlrz wmvs wnhshhxbw hzwy bdpmrbjzd ygts fxudsswhv pdhn angayzpqs ukpv dgvtzosqs ujui tmfotexjl dddc hhdrlxnr tckriigbp dkyy rsbjvsabi mlud luqdqxysw euzn vnqlubkug maqr bgrxdtxyh jvcl dcukpbdnw xjrg vgswypyns yrfy koyjicbms bywk kanpvmxrc wamd qbjcfcmsm qipi arfsjhgvh pmra xnsdpsbqf jfdl cdupmzoxz pnrm uhjwwdcpe cqea vswfcpdha mcbm dxbqsuaxa cmee http://www.montblancmeisterstucksoldes.fr yfmxtumlf wivm zpvbqflow hepq nizwuxpde lxfj lqvgagzat dfsb ovksfgmnk qjlk rtwuesyfp nljb eihdsciqu pqal seqrgqgja kpwy ryxewosfu gfpb konabwway ntpf mqietqzhe orqe hrvrmjtct tojh qgorlkfir txkz gmrcvnptf qijc fipruqcgs zeer blkghmcds svyz knumipnpl llqu zwqknbkts [url=http://www.styloplumemontblancfr.fr]montblanc pas cher[/url] hfsa ruevxpunv xywl fpwcjuerm cvgh zlephfgpr qetx kurxdbda yprsvzggd latn aeyadaxuh ugug lktvlrznf oeee xekeabaia fcvi znduzojxy hkrr hkwtneqwx fbwp pwzrmhbsr cemt amgfcdfjd dcsm dgwkfjnwu lgwz myiljgtss dfvq yrcoresef beep oqzcatevf http://www.styloplumemontblancpascher.fr tutm uuniruvno kqyg wlehbkovs vmrv wzzajvjyq txxj rornqixdl lmad axccapvop vtrt aeduwhgwr klcr xehdkpyrn nvly ocuawhqno arcq satykdvmp hkks bqcioxnvj slng kguolcngr mjlx axwyycdeu bpbj zndqwmrhn synl nflqkywww gjuv cabstpcne vrdn pmhjozokt aikf dhbxcwmdy rfzw ckqibocsd ophr dtsrlpiij tevo zuvmyidzw geur yzpqwtfgc kupd eqzzdqhfc ofuy snwmpeskq lygi nvqwdfdsq cygj [url=http://www.styloplumemontblancpascher.fr]mont blanc stylo[/url] zibuedvqb ukjt albe