Sleep is for the weak.

"Do I look tired to you? Just try to swaddle me, Mama, I dare you..."

And I've got two very strong boys.

I initially thought Evan was a great sleeper (unlike his brother, whose bedtime habits I've complained about ad nauseum). But a funny thing happened after about the first week of Evan's life -- he stopped sleeping all that much. (Ergo, I stopped sleeping all that much.)

I finally decided to keep track of his every nap and every meal last week, just to get a handle on whether he's developing any patterns for daytime naps and bedtime stretches. And it turns out little Evan is following in his wide-awake brother's footsteps. The average baby his age sleeps 16-18 hours a day. Evan sleeps 13, on average. That means sometimes he literally spends half his day wide awake. The most he slept on any given 24-hour cycle last week was 14 hours.

I'm starting to wonder whether all the caffeine-laced chocolate chips I consumed while pregnant with these boys had lasting effects...

4 comments:

Kim said...

Sammy's always been right around 14 hours too. Actually closer to 13 now. Terrible napper, but good at night.

julia said...

you're not alone. i can't get julia belén on a good sleeping pattern either. it's hard to sleep when your big brother is shaking your bed to make sure mama doesn't leave you there when everyone goes downstairs (despite that being exactly what mama was hoping for).

Lis said...

I remember when Cora would wake up at 11 and be wide awake until 3am. Only time in my life that as soon as my head hit the pillow I would be out like a light.

Heather said...

I'm scared. : )