Misery loves company

So I'm at the grocery store today and the cashier eyes my belly and says "Looks like you've got a long way to go."

"Actually, not really," I say. "I'm in my third trimester. I have about 10 or 11 weeks to go."

Her eyes open wide for a second, and then she cocks her head to one side and looks back at her register. "You'll blow up next month," she says. "I've seen it before. People look like you until about the seventh month and then they get huge."

"Well," I say, "Something to look forward to."

Sometimes I think cashiers should earn tips, just so I can not tip them.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one getting weird comments. It's like they feel like they must say something, regardless of how bizarre or even kind of mean. I've got a couple of people at work always saying I'm too small, like there's something wrong with me or the kiddo. Very helpful. And there's this really weird woman who's smiles at me creepily and tells me it must be so nice having a beach ball and weirdly pantomimes rubbing her own belly.

Anonymous said...

What I would do to have seen your face when she said that. Obviously you didn't say to her what you were thinking.

Robyn said...

I think the cashier put a hex on me. I swear my stomach has grown by 2 or 3 inches in the past three days.

Bridget, does this ever happen to you? Do you wake up sometimes and suddenly you're much bigger than when you went to bed??

Kostyn's a growing boy, that's for sure.

Heather said...

Kostyn?

Anonymous said...

Oh my god, yes. I'm 32 weeks now. And in the past few days I've expanded tremendously. I look completely riddiculous and there are often little body parts sticking out.